Two effective health guru’s I respect and take advice from took part in an interview recently. Bulletproof Diet Dave Asprey talked to Dr Mercola on Bulletproof Radio.
Dave Asprey is the founder of Bulletproof and author of New York Times bestseller The Bulletproof Diet. He is a Silicon Valley investor and technology entrepreneur who spent two decades and over $300,000 to hack his own biology.
Dave lost 100 pounds without counting calories or excessive exercise, used techniques to upgrade his brain by more than 20 IQ points, and lowered his biological age while learning to sleep more efficiently in less time. He is the creator of the widely popular Bulletproof Coffee.
Joseph M. Mercola is an alternative medicine proponent, osteopathic physician, and web entrepreneur, who imparts non mainstream medical advice through his website, mercola.com. Mercola criticises many aspects of standard medical practice, such as vaccination and what he views as overuse of prescription drugs and overuse of surgery to treat diseases. In turn he’s an avid proponent of Vitamin D being
foundational for good health.
Mercola and Asprey’s views on effective health are complementary and I very much support both their view points.
In the interview the following is discussed.
- Why Dr. Mercola never sits down – due to back pain, Dr Mercola found that sitting too much was the culprit. He now stands and rarely sits… and his back pain disappeared.
- Intermittent fasting – it’s not something you do all the time. It’s targeted for a specific time, usually to get rid of your insulin resistance, then you don’t need it anymore. Continuing with intermittent fasting could lead to too much weight loss.
- Thoughts on fruit – The Bulletproof Diet recommends to keep fruit consumption minimal due the levels of fructose fruit contains. Mercola also advises not to consume large amounts of fruit. It’s probably an unwise idea if you’re insulin resistant. How do you know if you’re insulin resistant? Are you overweight, are you diabetic, are you having problems with high blood pressure, or are you taking statin drugs? If you have any of those conditions then it’s probably wise to stay away from fruit or at least have it in small quantities.
- Aspartame – Aspartame is an artificial sweetener. When it breaks down in your body, your body doesn’t have the metabolic machinery to detoxify it like other species do. Humans just don’t. As a result it goes into the body, passes the blood brain barrier, there it’s detoxified to formaldehyde; a potent neurotoxin. Formaldehyde destroys your brain cells and de-natures your DNA. It’s as toxic as can be. It can cause seizures, migraines, even brain tumors. Just recently Pepsi announced that they’re taking aspartame out of Diet Pepsi.
- Round-Up – glyphosate or Round-Up. It’s an antibiotic, it kills bacteria. What happens when you spray it on healthy soil? A number of things. It chelates out the minerals. The reason it works as an antibiotic is because it takes away the minerals. Zinc and manganese are two of the most potent ones. Round-Up is actually much more toxic than glyphosate. Some studies show it might be 100, 200 times more toxic than glyphosate because of the the surfactants in Round-Up. It totally disrupts cell membranes and mitochondria. It’s bad news.
- Improving the gut biome – fermented foods optimise your gut flora. These bacteria are making a lot of good things. 1 or 2 capsules of probiotic is 100 billion microbes, which is pretty high potency. I Eating fermented vegetables provides 10 trillion. Therefore 2-3 ounces of feremented vegetables is far far more beneficial than a whole bottle of probiotics.
- Fluoride – Fluoride is a drug. Right now in the US 40% of adolescents has dental fluorosis, which is cosmetic (discolouration) damage to the outside of your teeth; that’s just cosmetic. If it’s causing teeth to be discoloured, what is it doing to your bones? It’s not good. It’s well-documented to cause osteonecrosis (the death of bone tissue) of the jaw. It’s a fact. That’s one of the dangers. It’s also a halogen which are generally toxic. One of the other gradual harmful effects is Hypothyroidism which is epidemic in the Western world. Fluoride will actually displace the iodine in the thyroid causing you to be relatively hypothyroid. It’s really worth checking out if your mains water contains Fluoride. If it does, campaign against it’s use and use Fluoride free water if you possibly can. I found this useful webpage that provides a lot of information on which countries do and do not add Fluoride to their water. Note for Scottish readers (for that’s where I’m from), Scotland is free from Fluoride.
- Dr Mercola’s top three recommendations for high performance – 1. Based on the core of his understanding on how to optimize your health is to not be insulin resistant. Do whatever it takes to not be insulin resistant. 2. Make sure you are sleeping 8 hours. 3. Optimise your water intake. There’s a lot of ways to do that. Structured water is massively important. Structured water is energized water. It’s water that you get if you take a fruit and squeeze the juice out of it or a vegetable. All that water is structured, the vegetable does it or the plant does it for you.
I find what Mercola (and Aspery for that matter) has to say very interesting. Mercola lead me to PEAK 8 interval training, Vitamins D and K2, Strength training, etc etc.; virtually my Effective Health way of life which has been successful and sustainable to date.
So: I guess I pay a lot of attention to what he says. I hope you find what he has to say interesting too. If you do (or don’t!?) please leave a comment below.
If you liked this article please Subscribe to the Effective Health mailing list. In return you will get instant notification of future blog articles by email PLUS a FREE ebook.